Monday, January 12, 2009

Story time!

Not really....well actually, really. Had to write a 500 word story about a new love. Guess who's getting subjected to it? Besides my parents and my classmates.... That's right! Whoever reads this. Bwahahaha.... Don't judge me too harshly on this (because lets face it....who the crap am I to write about love? Like I have any experience with the real thing)


“Love is a verb here in my room….so thank you for being that kind of girl,” I sang along softly with one of my favorite Incubus songs. I love music; sometimes I seem to need it more than air. You can usually see me walking around campus with my headphones wrapped around my neck, anxiously awaiting the next appropriate moment to listen to a song or two. I can find music to match all of my friends and any situation I’m in. Music has been the only constant in my ever-shifting world. Suddenly I freeze, halting mid-lyric and ceasing my finger-drumming on my family law RCW’s. I can feel someone watching me. I’m almost always a complete dork, but I get immensely embarrassed if someone notices me. I knew that there had been other people in the study area, but most are too busy wrapped up in their own studies to care about me. I realize that I had stopped breathing as I felt that whoever had been watching me was approaching closer. All of a sudden I realized who it was, and I felt something inside slowly melt. It was him. My complication, my simplicity. The guy who made the struggle worth it, my sweet reward at the end of everything. I smile as I feel his arms wrap around me. Every time he touches me it brings me back to a memory of pure bliss.

I knew I was in trouble the day I could look him in the eye. I trusted him completely, allowing him to read everything in my expressive eyes. When he had reached out to touch my face, I squeezed them shut, not allowing him to see the fear gathering at having him get so close to the most vulnerable place on my body. I braced myself, half-expecting to be struck, a feeling leftover from my childhood. Instead, I felt the softest brush of his fingertips against my cheek. Startled, my eyes flew open and searched his face. He was looking down at me, a smile playing across his lips. It was then that I realized that he truly accepted me for who I am, quirks and all. He didn’t care that I had been considered damaged goods by some, cast out by others. It didn’t matter to him that I still had nightmares about the men in my family or clung to stuffed animals in my sleep. I felt a sob escape me as he pulled me to him. As I cried into his chest I realized, that for the first time in my life, everything was going to be alright.

Two weeks have passed since that day, a blur of classes, work, and happiness. I have never felt so complete in my entire life. He’s my best friend, my companion, my shelter against the storm of memories. I don’t know what brought him into my life, but I will never question it. For the first time, I feel loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment